Sunday, August 11, 2013

SKI TRIP

Grace with her friends on the slopes.  She is in the purple jacket with the glasses. (Left)
In Australia, the school students have many opportunities to go on excursions (field trips) with their classes.  Most of these excursions are not chaperoned by anyone other than the principal of the school and the teachers of the classes.  So when I found out that Grace could potentially attend an overnight excursion for 5 days to the snowy mountains...I began to panic a little.  She has never spent the night with a bunch of school kids without her mother.  She was really excited and looking forward to a little independence.  I was worried but instead imposing my concerns on her, I put on my big girl pants, my brave mom face and thought about what a AWESOME experience she would have.  So, I signed the medical release forms, paid the money and Grace was off to the snowy mountains for 5 days of skiing.  She was down south near Canberra, Australia....for you movie fans, it is where they filmed the movie "A Man From Snowy River".  

The mountains here don't really compare to the Rocky Mountains that we are used too.  However, Grace is always up for a fun trip with friends, missing school, staying up late, and chatting the evening away.  Improving her skiing talents was an added bonus.  She wants to someday be able to hang on the slopes with her Papa Bruce, Uncle Sammy and Uncle Bubba so any chance that she has to practice skiing is welcomed.   According to her, she is much faster then the last time she skied at Deer Valley - look out family she might just be the next Picabo Street!

As the departure day approach, I began to get a little nervous about this trip however, it was too late to back out.  As we were driving to the school to meet the charter buses, it was starting to sink in for Grace that she would be without us for an entire 5 days and she was feeling a little worried herself.  I assured her that she would be GREAT, then gave her a tight squeeze, kiss on the cheek and helped her on the bus.  What she did not know was that as I walked to the car....I had tears in my eyes because I was going to miss that little ball of fire.

She had a fantastic time, made some wonderful friendships and loved the experience.  She was able to make some conclusions after this independent adventure.

1.  She loves having her mom or dad tuck her in at night....no matter her age.
2.  She thinks that I am the BEST chef in the world.  Nobody makes dinner like I do.
3.  "HEAVEN is skiing in Utah with the "GREATEST SNOW ON EARTH" and her amazing extended family.  (Papa Bruce this one is for you....)
4.  She loves her sisters and cannot imagine life without them.
5.  HOME is where ever your family is...
As she waits to board the charter bus....all smiles.

No matter where she goes she is the Pied Piper with little kids....they adore her.  

This is me....my happy face when my sweet girl was back in my arms.  College? yes---LOCAL SCHOOLS ONLY!  

No comments:

Post a Comment