Thursday, May 16, 2013

VOCAB






When we decided to move to Sydney, one of the many things that gave me comfort was the fact that they speak English.  Well, I can report that although they speak English in this beautiful country many of the words that they use are not the same as the words they use in the USA and as I have mentioned before, they speak with RAPID speed.  I have had many instances where, I don't know what to call things, or I don't understand what it is that they are asking me.  I am so grateful that Tom did not move us to France....:) --Tender Mercies are all around us.

A SAMPLING OF OUR "NEW" VOCABULARY (AU term listed first and USA second)

ARVO = AFTERNOON
TICKS = SECONDS
ROCKMELON = CANTALOUPE
JUMPER = SWEATER/JACKET
TRACKIES = TENNIS SHOES
MOBILE = CELL PHONE
FANCY = LIKE SOMEONE
MACKERS = McDONALD'S
SPROUTER = GUY WHO COULD BE HOT SOMEDAY SOON
BLUDGE = NON-PRODUCTIVE DAY
RUBBER = ERASER
CAPSICUM = RED PEPPER
RING = CALL ON TELEPHONE
CV = RESUME
DIARY = PLANNER USED FOR SCHOOL/LIFE
MUFFTY DAY = DRESS DOWN DAY AT SCHOOL, NO UNIFORM REQUIRED
HEAPS = LOTS
BISCUITS = COOKIES
LOLLIES = CANDY
LIFT = ELEVATOR
TOMATO SAUCE = KETCHUP
FURPHY = RUMOR
PREZZIES = PRESENTS
MATES = FRIENDS

There are many, many more but, thankfully the new nomenclature in the grocery store is easy to figure out because I can look and point to what I need.  For other things, it has not been easy.  I have been known to walk out of places empty handed because I cannot figure out what it is called.  I am sure with time I will figure it all out, but the learning curve is steep!

I will share a quick story about this very experience.  Shortly after we arrived here, I went to buy the girls their uniforms.  All girls wear dresses or skirts to school around here.  Pants are only on sport day. 

As I was in the uniform shop getting the girls their stuff, the sales clerk asked me if I would like to buy a jumper for the girls.  I told her that we did not need a jumper because I had plenty of uniform dresses for them to wear.  I told the lady that my girls were not really excited about wearing a dress to school so I did not want to spend more money on a jumper that they may or may not wear.  She looked at me kinda crazy like....what are you talking about.  As we were checking out, she again asked me if the girls would like a jumper.  I gave her the same response and she proceeded to tell me that it gets cold here in June/July and they may want a jumper.  I responded by telling her that they had tights and I thought they would be fine with the uniform dresses they already had in our checkout basket.  She looked at me again and said "I don't think you know what a jumper is?"  She went to the back of the shop and pulled out a jumper and brought it to me.  

It was definitely not another dress, it was a sweater! I was surprised and so grateful that she decided to show me!  The girls have needed those sweaters/jumpers and worn them everyday since it starting cooling off around here.  We would have been in trouble and I would have had some very grumpy kids!  I appreciate all of the patience that these sweet Australians give me because, I am truly perplexed at times about what they are saying.  Quite honestly sometimes it may as well be FRENCH!  I have great admiration for individuals that uproot themselves by moving to new places where they don't speak the language because I am struggling in the place where they speak ENGLISH.  :)




3 comments:

  1. What about flashlights? Do they call them torches? A lot of the words above are ones I learned when I was in Ireland. I thought a jumper was the same thing you did for about three days until I saw someone handing someone a sweater and saying "don't forget your jumper!". So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Australia I made a fool of myself several times because I couldn't quite understand what they were saying. I also learned that when you order a salad at a restaurant and it describes the lettuce as "rocket" the waiter will say, "It's a type of lettuce," not the "top of lettuce!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops. Trackies are sweat pants, 'trainers' or 'joggers' are running/tennis/gym shoes. I've never heard 'furphy'! haha. The one that really got me when I came over from the UK was 'dunny'. Not that there are many actual dunnies left.. (it's toilet in case you haven't heard) :)
    x

    ReplyDelete