Sunday, May 12, 2013

DRIVIN


Well we have been here for a little over a month now.  We have adjusted however, one of my biggest concerns in moving here was learning to drive on the opposite side of the road.  I was so stressed about it and I wanted to avoid it at all costs.  Factor in the traffic, the tiny, tiny lanes around here (much smaller in size due to the desire to use every possible centimeter of ground efficiently) and our HUGE rental van, I was a complete wreck!

Tom returned to the office a few days after we got here, so I had to jump straight into the deep end.  Every time we got into the car, I would ask the girls to offer a prayer so that we could reach our destination safely.  Those first couple of days we ran quite a few errands and EVERY TIME we got in the car we prayed - at times it was 7 times a day.  I think that the girls thought I was a bit nuts but, it sure made me feel more at ease.  After about a week, I adjusted and now feel really comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road.  



When purchasing a car, I asked Tom to get me something that sat high up on the road, it had to be small so that I felt more comfortable with the tiny lanes, it must fit the family well and have enough cargo room for our luggage because we hope be traveling a lot.  I did not really care if we had extra seats for additional kids because I was most concerned with being able to park it here in Sydney.  They don't have many parking spots for large cars.  The rental van taught me that.  I had a few close calls with expensive automobiles and my fair share of 80 point turns.  I felt like I was 16 again learning to drive.  So HARD!  I decided that my kids will have to have friends with their own cars or I will need to transport them in shifts or give away a kid - always an option!

Our new car--and it ticks all of the boxes!

On another note, we have also been surprised to see along the road, kangaroo and koala crossing signs instead of deer!  Jane said that she would just DIE if I hit a KOALA.  She thinks they are so cute and cuddly.  They may be cute, but those claws really don't appear to be cuddly to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment