Sunday, April 5, 2015

THOMAS E. MANNING

On March 31, 2015, Thomas E. Manning passed away.  Tom wrote a wonderful tribute to his dad and was sad that he would not be able to make the memorial service on April 4, 2015.  Tom is still recovering from his MASSIVE surgery and was not given the green light to travel.  He has trouble just climbing the stairs.  Sometimes life seems rotten and filled with many trials but, we will make it through despite our tears.  Tom always manages to stay positive and hopeful...

"My dad was a good man. I learned a lot from my father over the years. Some of the most important traits in life to him are punctuality, having great work ethic and standing for what you believe in. My father was also a great outdoors man. He loved hunting, fishing and anything that had to do with shooting. He loved camping and his numerous animals over the years.

Believe it or not I would not become a greatest outdoors man like my father even though he tried to convert me by giving me a gun for the twelfth birthday. I never adopted his love for hunting and fishing. But I did adopt some of the character traits that defined him and made his life worth living. He would often tell me if you're not 30 minutes early for any meeting- then you are late. I adopted that philosophy even to the detriment of my wife and three girls and who don't subscribe to the same point of view. Other areas of my life that were impacted by my father's example are the value of a great work ethic. My dad would instill in me if you commit to something you give it your word -- you must follow through with it. Your word is your bond.

I am proud of what I've been able to learn and glean from my father's example over the years. He was not a perfect man in fact he was quite human but he was a good man that was committed to his values.

Years after my parents divorced, my dad and I didn't spend a lot of time together. However, during the limited time we spent together we would share life experiences and chat about my goals for my family. I often struggled at times to know exactly what to say to my father so when we talked we communicated without saying a lot of words. My dad got to know my girls and they get to know him over the last 10 years. They learned of his life growing up, about his work, his love of the outdoors and his international travels. Grandpas foreign adventures were fun to learn about because he lit up as he described in detail this big wide world.

Two years ago, my wife Stephanie and I decided to move to Australia with our three girls. When I called my dad with the news, he could not be happier for us. His excitement was palpable. He was eager to share his experiences of living abroad and the experiences one could have internationally. He chatted to us about all of the learning that could be achieved through an opportunity like this. It meant a lot to my girls to hear that from him and to feel that my dad was excited for me to accomplish one of my dreams. This love of travel and exploring is what has bonded us over the past two years. We communicated probably more over of the past 24 months than the several years prior. You do not need to be in the same zip code to feel the influence and the example of a good man.

A moment of clarity came recently when I was speaking to my dad on the phone. I asked him what his long term outlook was. He said something to the effect that he lived a good life and now may be his time to check out. He did not fear dying but knowing the pain that he was in, I'm sure he welcomed that pending relief. I am happy that he was able to find the relief that he was seeking. We love you dad and thank you for your example -- we will never forget you. I love you Dad, rest in peace. "

Thomas E. Manning was a LOVELY guy who I admired!  You will be missed - Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment