Sunday, March 23, 2014

HOME


When I was a little girl, my Grandma Lova Bell happened to love baseball.  She was a huge Dodger fan and whenever we would visit her she would chat about the Dodgers.  If a game was playing she was listening to the radio and/or watching it on TV.  She LOVED baseball and happened to pass that love onto my dad.  He played baseball, watched baseball and loved all things baseball.  He would often take us to watch baseball games when we were little kids so nothing feels as nostalgic and HOME-like then watching a baseball game.

This last weekend, the Dodgers and the Diamond Backs had their MLB opening series games here in Sydney, Australia.  We were able to attend the Saturday night game with the girls (Thank You Mr. Paul for the tickets - Best neighbors we have ever had).  

The game was being held at the old Sydney Cricket Grounds on the same complex as the stadium that hosted the Taylor Swift concert.  I was much wiser this time and we took mass transit to get to the game (train and bus).  We made it with plenty of time to spare.  It was a cool, breezy evening and we were seated about 3 rows up from first base.  The seats were perfect and the feelings that we had as we watched a little piece of Americana filled our hearts. 









Over the last few months, my children have been challenged and missing HOME.  They think of Parkmeadow Drive and the life that they had there quite often.  They reminise about the days when life seemed a little less confusing and accepting.  They wonder if it would be the same and we often say that nothing stays the same.  Time changes everything.  However, as I sat in the stadium on Saturday night and watched the baseball game, I felt like I was HOME - enjoying my little slice of North Carolinian heaven.  I have to admit that when the American National Anthem played, my eyes got a little moist.  I had no idea how much I missed my country, my state, my friends, my family and most of all my old life!  I am proud to be an American Southern Woman! 





I am happy for the experiences that we are having here.  I am grateful for this once on a life-time chance that we have to grow and learn in a foreign country but, there is a little part of me that longs to be HOME!  

The game was fantastic and the Dodgers WON!  I am sure my Grandma Lova Bell was cheering them on from Heaven because she never misses a GAME!




Grandma Lova Bell would be smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment